What is FASTEL?
- FASTEL contains an active ingredient called Fexofenadine hydrochloride. It is one of a group of medicines called antihistamines.
- Antihistamines help reduce allergic symptoms by preventing the effects of a substance called histamine, which your body produces when exposed to certain substances.
- FASTEL is a non-sedating antihistamine which means it has been shown not to cause drowsiness.
What are the uses of FASTEL?
FASTEL 180 mg tablets: used in adults and adolescents of 12 years and older to relieve the symptoms that occur with long term allergic skin reactions (chronic idiopathic urticaria) such as itching, swelling and rashes.
Dosage and administration
For adults and children aged 12 years and over:
- FASTEL 180 mg Tablets: The recommended dose is one tablet (180 mg) daily. Take your tablet with water before a meal. This medicine starts to relieve your symptoms within 1 hour and lasts for 24 hours.
Follow the instructions written on the back of the box.
- If you take the wrong dose, FASTEL may not work as well and your symptoms may not improve.
- Take FASTEL tablets with a glass of water to make it easier to swallow. FASTEL may be taken with or without food.
- Take FASTEL for up to 5 days, if necessary. If symptoms persist after 5 days, consult your Doctor or Pharmacist.
- Do not try to make up for missed doses by taking more than one dose at a time. This may increase the chance of getting an unwanted side effect. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the dose you missed and take the next dose when you are meant to. But if there is still a long time to go before your next dose, take it as soon as you remember, and then go back to taking it as you would normally.
What is the duration of treatment with FASTEL?
For how long can I continue taking FASTEL?
The duration of use depends on the case of the allergy.
- For acute cases: it can be taken with the onset of symptoms and stopped when the symptoms have ended, and it can be reused if the symptoms return again.
- For chronic cases: it can be taken daily throughout the period of exposure to the allergen ( Sometimes treatment with FASTEL can extend throughout the spring season).
Can FASTEL Tablets be used by hypertensive patients?
Yes, FASTEL tablets can be used by hypertensive patients. FASTEL will not affect blood pressure, but it may interact with some medicines that are used to lower blood pressure.
FASTEL can be taken by patients with high blood pressure safely, but after making sure that it will not interact with other medicines that they are taking to lower their blood pressure.
All medicines can cause side effects. Sometimes they are serious, but most of the time they are not. You may need medical treatment if you get some of the side effects. Although most people will not experience any, some of the side effects that could occur with FASTEL are:
Uncommon side effects (may affect up to 1 in 100 people):
Additional side effects (frequency not known: cannot be estimated from the available data) which may occur are:
- difficulty sleeping (insomnia).
- sleeping disorders.
- bad dreams.
- fast or irregular heart beat.
- skin rash and itching.
- serious allergic reactions which can cause swelling of the face, lips, tongue or throat, flushing, chest tightness, and difficulty breathing.
Reporting of side effects
- If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse.
- This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet.